- Create a playlist that suits your story. I use youtube and soundcloud to create unique and fun sounds from contemporary, classical, and indie artists all over the world.
- Give yourself 15 minutes to fool aorund on your phone
- Put your phone down
- Open your writing program or grab your favorite pen and paper
- Prepare both a large mug of hot and soothing tea, and have a chilled bottle of water(large) for after the tea is consumed. Good teas? For a racing mind I drink chamomile. For a chill day spearmint or peppermint. However I am down for chai tea at any hour of any given day.
- Have a pack of snacks that go with tea, preferably cookies/biscuits…preferably chocolate chip.
- Turn off your wifi, unplug your Ethernet, toss cord out of reach.
- Put your phone down.. Didn’t I tell you to put your phone down.
- Put playlist at low to medium volume.
- Sip your tea
- For every 200-300 words eat a cookie/biscuit, and feel rewarded and accomplished.
- At 1200 words reward yourself with a 15 minute break,
- Get back to the joys of writing
- Repeat every day or until writing is finished.
There is my foolproof guide to writing with a motivator(the sweets reward), something soothing, and without distraction!